Western Slope Memory Care Moments Program
Our Moments Program is a complete-person approach to care through health, nutrition, fitness, mental stimulation, social engagement, creative expression, and relaxation. Our Program goes beyond your standard monthly calendar and focuses on creating meaningful moments within every day events.
Why Did We Create It?
We want to create a purposeful and realistic program that allows each resident to feel valued, successful, peaceful, cared for, and loved. The foundation of this program is an understanding that each resident is different. They have different likes, dislikes, abilities, and goals. We need a complete program that reflects these differences, not just a one size fits all schedule from 9am – 5pm.
How Do We Make It Successful?
- We take the time to learn about each resident’s past and present to create more purposeful programming.
- Each activity utilizes Parallel Programming allowing for residents with different needs, interests, and abilities to partake in activities that foster a feeling of success.
- We give all staff members permission to make everyday activities meaningful and not just tasks that need to be checked off of a list. We really know our staff members and their individual interests, so this freedom provides them constant opportunities to adapt activities by taking advantage of their individual competencies. Everyone benefits and our team members feel a sense of pride in sharing their interests and talents.
- We take into account opportunities for sensory stimulation focusing on sight, smell, temperature, touch, and hearing, to create more meaningful communication with our residents as well as reducing behaviors and agitation.
- To ensure our methods are inspired and cutting edge, our programs are researched based and our staff training incorporates lessons learned from national certification programs, such as the National Council of Certified Dementia Practitioners.